Today we would like to talk about adequate diets and other methods to help you keep your friend a healthy cat AND host a fun competition for you. :D
We all know how much our friends like their treats and it is often easy to end up overfeeding them this is why in my opinion it is important to only give treats as rewards or as part of a fun activity / game such as the food maze that we have featured previously. Giving your friends treats in this way can be fun for both you and them and ensures that they expend some energy to get the treat. ;)
Of course if your companion is into learning tricks (Yes i know very unlikely after all we are talking about CATS haha) when you may want to teach him things like standing up for a trick. I actually managed to teach Oli how to do this without loosing my hand in the process and it works MOST of the time LOL.
Of course this alone won’t be sufficient to ensure that your companion remains a healthy cat. It is also important that you choose pet food that is suitable to your cat’s lifestyle. I.E. if your cat is an indoor only cat make sure you get them food specifically designed for those. This will ensure that they don’t get too many calories per serving and thus preventing to apply other weight management options.
It is also quite important to have your friend checked out regularly by the vet and of course have them weight while there. If you see a sign of change in their weight it is much easier to tackle the issue in early stages rather than later on. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be to get them back to their ideal weight and after all you don’t want to end up having to put them on a severe diet. Neither you nor your companion will enjoy grumpy days caused by hunger. :o
Struggling in a multi cat household to stop one of your cats stealing all the food and putting on weight? No problem! There is a solution to this as well. SureFlap designed a brilliant little microchip controlled feeder that will only allow the designated cat to eat from the Feeder. You can find a review for this one here. :D This can also be very helpful if you need to feed only one of your cats medicated / perscription food as it will prevent the others from eating it.
There are also many weight management type of pet food available and on this occasion we have teamed up with Hill’s Science Plan for a fun competition. They are giving 5 people a chance to win a pack of pet food specifically tailored to your cat’s needs and all you have to do for this is to answer the following question. (Terms and Conditions at the bottom of this post apply)
Which technique do Hill’s vets use to determine whether a dog or cat is a healthy weight?
Hint: You can find the answer here.
Also not just does it contain the answer to our question but provides you with a wealth of information and advice on keeping your cat healthy by managing their weight in an appropriate way!
Hill’s Pet Weight Facts
1 in 3 pets is overweight or obese. Being as little as 20% overweight can greatly increase the risk of your pet developing serious health conditions such as diabetes mellitus, arthritis, urinary stones or heart disease.
Hill’s Vets suggest playing “catch the light” to exercise your cat – shine a white light torch on the walls and let your cat play (do not use a red light laser as it can damage your cat’s eyes).
Also if your house cat allows you, it’s worth using a harness to take them outside. Cat harnesses are available from your pet shop. While you’re out, encourage your cat to jump and play using natural ‘toys’ like piles of leaves.
And now to a fun fact of the day! Even before teaming up with Hill’s Oli always had a little ritual which means I am not allowed to leave the house without filling up a little bowl by the door with some oral care crunchies from Hill’s :D This is why Gemma Caroll drew this super cute illustration for us. :)
*Meow*! MORE CRUNCHIES <3
So you can imagine how happy his Meowjesty was when he received this:
Oliver: All the content of this box belongs to ME!
Nubia: You wish!
Nubia: I am prettier so you stay in the back…
Nubia: Oh what should I have first. :D
Nubia: No German… And I am NOT eating a lot! Thats your nickname. :P
Right while their Meowjesties argue it out why doesn’t the rest of you enter the competition? :D
P.S: Never miss a post again by signing up to our Newsletter.
Hill’s Science Plan Competition Terms and Conditions
- Promoter: Pet Nutrition Ltd, Building 5, Croxley Green Business Park, Watford, WD18 8YL.
- This competition is open for entry to residents of England, NI, Scotland, Wales and RoI over 16 years, excluding employees of the Promoter, their immediate families, agents, or anyone else professionally connected with the competition.
- Promotion Period: Enter between JUNE 23RD and JULY 27TH at 23.59]All entries received after this date will be deemed invalid.
- To enter: Entrants must respond with the correct answer by submitting their entry via the competition comments section
- Entries are limited to one entry per person, for the time period in the day.
- The Prize: Five winners selected at random by Hill’s will each receive a pet food package from one of the following ranges only to the value of £15. If the chosen item(s) is not available a suitable alternative will be offered.
- Winner Selection: All valid entries received by the end of the Promotion Period will be reviewed by the Promoter and will be supervised by an independent person. The five winning entries will be selected at random.
- Winner Notification: The Winner will be contacted via email on JULY 27TH They will be asked to confirm details of their pet: (dog/cat; age; breed, wet/dry food preference; medical needs)
- If a winner is not contactable or fails to respond within 7 days of the notification, the prize may be reallocated by the Promoter to a reserve winner selected in the same manner.
- The prize will be delivered within 28 days to the winner once they provide the requested contact details
- The winners will be required to participate in relevant publicity associated with the competition.
- By entering the competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by these terms and conditions. All entry instructions form part of these terms and conditions.
- The name and county of the winner can be obtained by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Customer Services, Hill’s Pet Nutrition Ltd, Building 5, Croxley Green Business Park, Watford, WD18 8YL.
- Data Protection: Personal data provided will be used for the purpose of the competition and in accordance with these terms and conditions by the Promoter.
- The information you provide will only be used by Hills Pet Nutrition Limited solely for the purposes noted in the terms and conditions above.
- Bulk entries made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. Incomplete or illegible entries and entries which do not satisfy the requirements of these terms and conditions in full will be disqualified and will not be counted. If it becomes apparent that an entrant is using a computer(s) to circumvent this condition by, for example, the use of ‘script’, ‘brute force’, masking their identity by manipulating IP addresses, using identities other than their own or any other automated means in order to increase their entries into the competition in a way that is not consistent with the spirit of the competition, that person’s entries will be disqualified and any prize awarded will be void.
- The Promoter may require the winner to provide proof of identity and age. Identification considered suitable for verification is at the Promoter’s discretion.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any late, misdirected or incomplete entries, or effects of hackers, failure of any electronic equipment, computer transmissions and/or network connections, nor are they responsible for any inaccuracies in information or any technical or human error which may occur in processing the entries. Proof of submitting an entry is not proof of receipt by the Promoter.
- The Promoter, and any affiliated companies are not responsible for any errors that are beyond the control of the Promoter. In the event the competition is compromised by any cause beyond the control of the Promoter (including, but not limited to, hackers and viruses) which, in the sole opinion of the Promoter, corrupts, or impairs the administration, security or fairness of the competition, the Promoter reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify, suspend or terminate all or part of the competition.
- The Promoter and any affiliated companies are not responsible for any entry, generated by computer hardware or software, malfunction, error or failure. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this competition, as solely determined by the Promoter, will be disqualified.
- The Promoter cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury, costs, expenses or claims suffered by entrants as a result of entering the competition or of accepting the prize.
- The prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
- The Promoter cannot be held responsible if, for circumstances beyond its reasonable control, the stated prize is no longer available. The Promoter reserves the right to award a prize of equivalent value.
- The decision of the Promoter shall be final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If you have any queries regarding the competition or experience any problems, please message the promoter on Hill’s Pet Nutrition Facebook page, or Hill’s Pet UK & IE Twitter page between 9-5 Monday through to Friday.The competition is governed by English Law and entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.