Cleaning and Pets by Blue Cross

This content is kindly being provided by the UK Charity Blue Cross.

Being at home more with our pets is great – but, inevitably, during these difficult times, a lot of us will be cleaning more than usual.

Certain products are toxic to pets and they can’t read labels like us, so it’s our job to keep them safe.

Remember that dogs like to explore their surroundings with their mouths, so if they’re curious or anxious they may turn to chewing on something you don’t want them to. So, above all, it’s important to keep all products locked away when not in use.

Which cleaning products do I need to avoid?

Here are three cleaning products that pet owners need to be extra careful of.

Bleach

If you’re cleaning the floor with bleach, make sure it’s diluted with water and rinse the floors afterwards. Be sure to wait for it to dry before letting your pet into the room. A wet floor means that bleach can be transferred onto your pet’s fur more easily, where they’re at risk of licking it when grooming later.

If you’re using bleach to clean a pet’s crate or carrier, give it a thorough rinse with water afterwards and air it out to dry.

Remember that bleach is in toilet blocks too, so be sure to leave the toilet lid down.

Laundry detergents, tablets and capsules

All of these can be toxic for a pet if they ingest a large amount. Be extra careful by storing tablets and capsules in secure storage, like Tupperware, and detergents need to be kept in a cupboard, away from curious pets.

Dishwasher tablets

These can pose a threat to our pets, so always remember to store them in a Tupperware container out of the way.

Why are cleaning products bad for my pet?

These products can cause burns on your pet’s paws, as well as in their throat and stomach if they swallow them, which can lead to permanent damage and can even be fatal.

Look out for pet-safe products, these have less chemicals in them, which means they are less likely to cause such severe reactions.

Is hand sanitiser bad for pets?

Hand sanitiser often contains alcohol and will need to if you are using it against coronavirus.

Much like other forms of alcohol, this can be toxic and cause sickness and tiredness, as well as seizures if large amounts are ingested.

So, this needs to be treated like any other cleaning product and kept out of the way.

Don't miss out!
Subscribe To Newsletter

Receive top cat news, competitions, tips and more!

Invalid email address
Give it a try. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Click to visit our Shop for the hassle-free Zen Clippers!

One thought on “Cleaning and Pets by Blue Cross

Why not meow a comment to fellow readers?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Follow us on Wordpress

Get the latest posts delivered to your mailbox:

%d bloggers like this: