For the vast majority of us, this will be a festive period like no other. As various coronavirus restrictions remain and the temperature drops – and as people are once again forced to make incredibly difficult decisions – we desperately need your help to deliver 100 care packages to vulnerable owners and pets in need across London.
- Our bespoke care packages will include essential items such as warm coats, light up collars, flea and worming treatments, toys and other enriching items for people’s beloved pets.
- In addition, we will also be providing the food these animals need to get through the winter, which has kindly been donated by Burns Pet Food.
- Your support will also help us fund crucial phone and in-person assistance from our Animal Welfare Officers (AWOs), who are a lifeline for owners and animals all year round.
Back in April, and thanks to the generosity of the general public, we raised over £10,000 towards our emergency coronavirus appeal. This enabled us to provide 150 care packages to owners struggling to cope with the first weeks of lockdown, and handle over 1000 calls with concerned service users across the city.
Now, we are once again asking those who can to donate a few more pounds this winter, to help us ensure that more animals don’t go without food or warmth over Christmas.
What your support means
Traditionally, this is a time when we receive physical items such as toys, coats and blankets from our supporters, to pass on to those in need.
Sadly, we can’t accept any gifts from the public this year due to the continuing coronavirus restrictions, so your support means that the cats and dogs of owners who may be struggling are not forgotten this Christmas.
We are here to ensure that beloved pets are properly cared for through these challenging times, and that worried owners have peace of mind knowing that we are there for them.
- Just £5 could allow us to provide food to a feral cat colony in London, helping them to survive the winter months when food is scarce.
- £10 could enable us to microchip an elderly person’s cat whilst their owner is unable to leave the house.
- A donation of £15 could buy a coat for an owned dog experiencing homelessness.
- £25 could contribute towards the cost of flea and worming treatment for a vulnerable dog or cat.
Without us, and without you, these local animals will most definitely miss out on vital support and supplies.
Protecting a lifesaving bond
As anyone who has ever had a pet can understand, animals really have been a lifeline to millions of owners throughout the pandemic.
Without us and our support, some owners may be forced to give up their four-legged companions this winter through no fault of their own, plunging them even deeper into a desperate and depressing situation.
We urgently want to protect the inseparable bond that people have with their pets, and keep as many cats and dogs as healthy and happy as possible throughout the winter period.
Funds raised from this appeal will mean that our AWOs can continue to take calls from owners worried about their animals, or members of the public concerned about strays or ferals in their local area.
During such a stressful and isolating time, our AWOs friendly, expert voices at the end of the phone will offer a lifeline and take the weight off of worried minds.
For Ginger’s owner, our support made a world of difference back in the first lockdown. They told us “Thank you so much for helping me get on top of this. I don’t know what I would have done without your support.” If we hadn’t stepped in, there’s a good chance they would have had to give Ginger up.
Whatever the future holds, we’ll be here for dogs, cats, and communities in and across London.
By supporting our appeal, you can help make our winter care packages as useful as possible for vulnerable animals and owners in your local area.
Please visit our website and donate here: https://themayhew.org/wintercarepackage/
Click to visit our Shop for the hassle-free Zen Clippers!
We regularly write about all things relating to cats on our Blog Katzenworld!
My partner and I are owned by five cheeky cats that get up to all kinds of mischief that of course, you’ll also be able to find out more about on our Blog
If you are interested in joining us by becoming a regular contributor/guest author do drop us a message @ email@example.com .