Founded in October 1860 by Mary Tealby, it is one of the UK’s oldest and leading animal welfare charities. Little is known about the charity’s founder, but she championed animal rights, providing temporary shelter for homeless dogs and cats.
Battersea was originally based in Holloway, North London, and known as ‘The Temporary Home for Lost & Starving Dogs’ before moving to its current site at Battersea in 1871.
The Home survived both World Wars and two bombings. The original cattery, Whittington Lodge, still stands in the London site today and is a heritage listed building.
Battersea receives no government funding and relies on the generosity and support of the public to help care for lost and abandoned dogs and cats. To make a donation visit www.battersea.org.uk