The animal welfare charity is appealing for donations of pet food in the North of England
The RSPCA has launched a winter appeal for donations of pet food in order to keep up with demand for the charity’s food bank project.
The animal welfare charity has partnered with nearly 40 food banks across the North of England since it began in December last year (2020) From January to September there have been approximately 113 deliveries to food banks across Lancashire, Cheshire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, and the North East. This averages around 10 deliveries of pet food every month with each delivery consisting of approximately 200kgs of pet food. This could feed approximately 1,200 dogs and over 800 cats.*
The RSPCA is now appealing to generous animal lovers to donate pet food to their local applicable branch of the RSPCA (details below) in order to keep up with the demand as pet owners continue to struggle post lockdown and through the pandemic.
RSPCA Deputy Chief Inspector Alison Fletcher, who coordinates the RSPCA Pet Foodbank Project, said: “We set up this project as we understood what a strain the pandemic was having on people’s finances and we wanted to ensure that loving pet owners who were struggling to make ends meet could still provide for their pets. The response from food banks across the north of the country has been astounding and we have been so grateful for their support and for the support of all those who have donated food so far. Now as we approach winter we are seeing a real demand for pet food with some areas struggling to keep up with this demand. This is why we have now launched a winter appeal and are asking kind animal lovers to donate as much pet food as they can to help owners and their pets in need.
“As an inspector, I was hearing stories about people who would skip meals themselves in order to pay for pet food for their dog or cat and it was heartbreaking to hear. We know that our pets are part of the family and so we wanted to support people who are struggling through this project to ensure that those loving owners who have just fallen on hard times can still remain with their pets. Our inspectors can now refer anyone who is struggling to their local food bank but as winter approaches the food banks are likely to be busier than ever and so we’d urge anyone who can to please donate to the project.”
List of drop-off points to donate pet food
- RSPCA Lancashire East, Altham Animal Centre, Enfield Rd, Altham, Accrington, BB5 6NN
- RSPCA Preston and District, Slack Cottage, Longridge Rd, Ribbleton, Preston, PR2 6QL
- RSPCA Blackpool & North Lancashire, Longview Animal Centre, Old Toms Lane, POULTON-LE-FYLDE, Stalmine, FY6 0JR
- Amazon Wishlist
- RSPCA Felledge Animal Centre, Waldridge Lane, DH2 3BF
- RSPCA Newcastle and North Northumberland Branch Shop, 200 Shields Road, Byker, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE6 1DU
- RSPCA Newcastle and North Northumberland Branch Shop, 186 Whitley Road, Whitley Bay, NE26 2TA
- Amazon wishlist
Cheshire & Merseyside
- RSPCA Wirral & Chester branch, Wirral Animal Centre, 32 Cross Ln, Wallasey CH45 8RH
- Amazon wishlist
- RSPCA Bury, Oldham & District Branch, The Strinesdale Centre, Holgate Street, Oldham, OL4 2JW – Donations welcomed every Friday between 10am and 3pm
- RSPCA Doncaster & Rotherham Branch, Great North Road, Bawtry, Doncaster, DN10 6DE. Open every day except Wednesday 9am-4pm.
- RSPCA Sheffield, Stadium Way, Attercliffe, Sheffield, S9 3HN. Open every day except Wednesday 9am-4pm
- Amazon wishlist
- RSPCA Halifax, Wade Street, Halifax HX1 1SN. Open every day 10.15am-4pm except Sunday when it closes at 3pm and closed all day Thursday.
Our rescue teams will be out in all weathers this winter, rescuing animals from abuse, neglect and suffering. To Join the Christmas Rescue and help our rescuers be there for the animals in need, please visit www.rspca.org.uk/rescuexmas
Visit our Shop for Lisa Parker merchandise!
We regularly write about all things relating to cats on our Blog Katzenworld!
My partner and I are owned by five cheeky cats that get up to all kinds of mischief that of course, you’ll also be able to find out more about on our Blog
If you are interested in joining us by becoming a regular contributor/guest author do drop us a message @ email@example.com .