Today’s guest post comes from Diane:
Whether you consider yourself a cat person or a dog person, you can’t deny that cats are really interesting creatures.
You know that saying that fact is stranger than fiction? Well, when it comes to cats, that’s actually true.
- Did you know that cats purr not only when they are happy but also in order to ease their tension? They learn this skill from their mother, who purrs as they nurse. For cats, purring is a way of stimulating “happy hormones”, which make a cat feel better. That’s why sometimes your cat might purr even when in pain. So if you see your cat purring, don’t be too sure it’s only out of joy.
- Cats are among the top sleepers in the animal kingdom, and for good reason. Did you know that cats sleep 16 to 18 hours per day. However, when cats are asleep, they are still alert to incoming stimuli, so that’s why if you poke your cat while sleeping, it will still respond accordingly. So basically, cats spend 75% of their lives sleeping. By the time a cat is 9 years old, it will only have been awake for 3 years of their life.
- Did you know that cats have a third eyelid, which is called a palpebra tertia, also known as “haw”? This third eyelid provides an extra layer of eye protection, not only for cats but for other animals also. However, it might not always be visible and if you notice that one of you cat’s third eyelids is covering one eye more than the other, your cat has probably injured that eye and you should go see a vet.
- It might not be true that a cat has 9 lives but they surely know how to survive in this one. Did you know that some cats have actually survived falls of over 65 feet, or 20 meters? You’ve probably noticed that cats land on their feet most of the time, thanks to their righting reflex, which begins to appear at 3-4 weeks of age and is perfect by the time they are 6-7 weeks.
- And just to prove that cats are just as awesome as dogs, maybe even more, did you know that a cat’s hearing is better than a dog’s? Even more, a cat can actually hear high-frequency sounds up to two octaves higher than a human being, so they’re basically more awesome than us.
So, these were 5 interesting and weird facts about cats that you probably didn’t know, but of course there are many more so if you are curious you should look it up. Also, a bonus fact for all cats lovers out here, did you know that a cat lover is called an ailurophilia?
About the author
Diane is a cat lover (or an ailurophilia if you have paid attention to the article) which tries to provide useful information to cat lovers on especially how to train their cats to use automatic litter boxes on her website at CatLitterBox.Reviews.
We hope you enjoyed her article and don’t forget to subscribe to our Newsletter!
We regularly write about all things relating to cats on our Blog Katzenworld!
My partner and I are owned by five cheeky cats that get up to all kinds of mischief that of course, you’ll also be able to find out more about on our Blog
If you are interested in joining us by becoming a regular contributor/guest author do drop us a message @ firstname.lastname@example.org .