- Candy- Valentine’s candy is a staple, but unfortunately cheeky pets can discover it and end up at the emergency vet. Chocolate contains caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline which are toxic to pets and candy containing xylitol can be deadly. If you do receive candy, the safest place to store it is in the fridge or a cupboard that pets cannot open.
- Flowers- Unfortunately, many flowers can be deadly or dangerous to pets, such as carnations, lilies, chrysanthemums, and most daisies. If going the flower route, make sure to choose thorn-free roses, orchids, and gerbera daisies as they are the most common and toxic-free flowers.
- House plants- House plants are wonderful Valentine’s gifts as they last longer than a bouquet of flowers, but many of them can be dangerous to pets. Common house plants such as aloe, pothos, snake plants, and rubber tree plants can all cause symptoms such as drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, or even death. Keeping plants up high may help for dogs, but not for cats as they enjoy climbing. Pet-friendly house plants include rattlesnake plants, spider plants, African violets, and certain succulents such as haworthia or echeveria.
- Candles and perfumes- While extremely romantic to have a scent from your significant other, many candles and perfumes are made with chemicals and artificial scents that can cause problems for pets. Inhalation and topical exposure from perfumes can be dangerous to pets, especially as they can end up exposing themselves to these toxins many times throughout the day by grooming. Candles can be dangerous to pets with respiratory issues as the fumes and scents can make it hard for them to breathe and the flames can be a hazard. If choosing a candle as a gift for your pet lover, make sure it is made from beeswax or soy wax and does not contain dyes, paraffin, or formaldehyde. Perfumes that contain artificial scents, alcohol, parabens, and acetone are also unsafe. If choosing either, make sure that it is made of pet-friendly essential oils, such as lavender, cedar, frankincense, or myrrh.
- Jewelry- Necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and cufflinks can cause digestive problems for our furry friends. Sharp jewelry, such as rings, earrings and cufflinks, can tear or puncture the gastrointestinal tract while bracelets and necklaces may get stuck. If you do receive jewelry as a gift, keep it in a box and put it up in cupboards or wardrobes.
With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, many are looking for a last-minute gift for their significant other. According to Google Trends, over 12K Brits have searched for “Valentine’s gift”.
However, many common Valentine’s Day gifts, such as chocolate and flowers, are a hazard to pets. An expert from Land of Rugs, is here to share a few Valentine’s gifts that are dangerous to pets, as well as a few tips for keeping our furry friends safe.