In recent years, the veterinary profession has witnessed a remarkable transformation with the advent of telemedicine providers. This innovative approach to veterinary care has not only revolutionised the way veterinary professionals work but can also contribute to improving their work-life balance. Contrary to concerns that telemedicine might pose a threat to traditional veterinary practices, telemedicine services like Vetster have instead emerged as a complementary tool that enriches the overall veterinary experience, whilst helping over-stretched vets achieve more within their working hours.
In this article, Cerys Goodall, COO at Vetster, explores five ways how veterinary telemedicine can be an asset to any vet and their practice, rather than a conflict.
- Expanding Access to Expertise: Telemedicine allows veterinarians to reach a broader audience and connect with pet owners who may not have easy access to a brick-and-mortar veterinary clinic. This expansion of reach can help veterinarians tap into a new patient base, thereby increasing their workload and revenue without cannibalising their existing clientele.
- Efficient Triage and Consultation: Telemedicine providers like Vetster present a powerful tool for triage and initial consultations. Vets can efficiently assess the severity of a pet’s condition remotely and determine whether an in-person visit is necessary. This reduces the number of unnecessary in-person appointments and streamlines the workflow, enabling veterinarians to allocate more time to cases that require in-person care.
- Work-Life Balance: One of the most significant advantages of telemedicine is the potential for improving veterinarians’ work-life balance. Vets can offer virtual consultations outside of regular clinic hours, allowing them to accommodate a flexible schedule that suits their lifestyle. This flexibility is particularly beneficial for veterinarians with families or other commitments.
- Reducing Stress and Burnout: Telemedicine can help alleviate the stress and burnout experienced by many veterinary professionals. By handling some consultations virtually, vets can take a step back from the physically and emotionally demanding aspects of their work. At Vetster we’re huge advocates for using telemedicine to benefit vets’ mental health and job satisfaction, ultimately benefiting both the vets and their patients.
- Strengthening Client Relationships: Telemedicine is an opportunity to strengthen the bond between veterinarians and their clients. Through virtual consultations, vets can engage with pet owners more frequently, offering guidance on pet care, answering questions, and providing support. This enhanced communication fosters trust and loyalty, resulting in more dedicated clients who are more likely to seek in-person care when needed.
- Collaborative Approach: Rather than competing with traditional veterinary practices, telemedicine can be seen as a collaborative tool that enhances the overall quality of care. Vets can collaborate with telemedicine platforms to offer remote consultations while ensuring that the more complex cases still require in-person visits, reinforcing the importance of physical veterinary clinics.
The integration of veterinary telemedicine is not a threat but a valuable asset to the veterinary profession. It empowers veterinarians to expand their reach, better manage their workload, and achieve a healthier work-life balance while reinforcing the significance of in-person veterinary care. As the veterinary world continues to evolve, embracing telemedicine as a complementary tool will enable veterinary professionals to provide better care and lead more fulfilling lives, without compromising the essence of traditional veterinary practice. In this symbiotic relationship, both vets and their patients stand to gain.
Vetster is a veterinary telemedicine marketplace that connects veterinary professionals with pet owners virtually over video, text or audio chat. Founded in 2020 by Mark Bordo and Regan Johnson, the marketplace has been operating in North America for 2 years and already has thousands of vets providing services to pet owners every day. From the comfort of their home, pet owners can access quality care in a matter of minutes, and veterinary professionals can set their own rate and schedule themselves according to personal preferences. Create a free account today at www.vetster.com