Seven Toxic Plants to Keep Away From Pets

Pet owners are being warned about deadly, toxic, and harmful plants commonly found in the garden.

The experts at Lazy Flora, a plant subscription site, have revealed a list of things growing in gardens, that need removing when curious pets are around.

Safety at home for pets to be able to roam freely is paramount. Peckish pets put in a scenario with lethal berries and leaves will increase the risk of accidental poisoning.

Some plants, like the Lily of the Valley, are toxic from top to bottom. Whist others, such as rhubarb, have parts of the plant that is safe to eat, but the leaves should be avoided at all costs.

Claire Ransom, the founder of Lazy Flora said: “I introduced pet-friendly plants to our range because my own dog Cocoa ate two different toxic things whilst out in the garden and I had to rush her to the emergency vet both times.

“I was pretty horrified and didn’t sleep for several nights while we figured out with the vet what she had been eating and what damage it could have caused. The guilt was awful, I couldn’t believe I’d so carelessly put her at risk. I vowed never to let her get access to any toxic plants ever again.

“Luckily, Cocoa was fine and suffered no lasting damage, but it really heightened my awareness of just how toxic some plants can be. To keep curious paws away from danger, it is best to remove these plants out of easily accessible areas of the garden.”

Cocoa at Lazy Flora HQ

Toxic plants to keep out of reach of pets:

  1. Larkspur

A close-up of some flowers Description automatically generated with medium confidence

Belonging to the buttercup family, Larkspur is a flowering plant that is grown for its graceful, vividly coloured blossoms. This plant is low maintenance, making it a favourite among newbie gardeners. However, all parts of the Larkspur plant are toxic to pets, with the leaves and seeds containing the highest levels of alkaloids. These alkaloids are toxic and can cause vomiting, nausea, painful burns in the mouth and a slow heartbeat.

  1. Foxglove

A close up of flowers Description automatically generated with low confidence

These pretty bell-like blossoms add a bright pop of colour to the garden but watch out, as the plant is packed with toxins. Accidental ingestion of any part of the plant could lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and irregular, or slow heartbeats. The berries are bright and juicy looking, meaning they are more likely to attract pets.

  1. Rhubarb

A picture containing plant, outdoor, leaf, green Description automatically generated

Whilst this popular ingredient in crumbles appears innocent enough, the mistake is made when people or pets attempt to eat the leaves of the plant. They are high in toxins, such as oxalic acid, which could affect the kidneys. In high doses, these toxins can lead to kidney failure and in some cases, death.

  1. Lily Of The Valley

A picture containing plant, tree, flower Description automatically generated

This beautifully dainty, fragrant flower is surrounded by bright gorgeous green foliage, but be warned, it is highly toxic to human beings and animals alike. The flower naturally produces a whole range of cardiac glycosides, a highly toxic compound that is powerful enough to send a grown adult to A&E. Accidental ingestion may lead to headaches, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, and skin rashes, but severe poisoning without immediate treatment can be fatal.

  1. Oleander

A picture containing flower, plant, pink, close Description automatically generated

Popular among gardeners for its pretty pink flowers, the oleander looks like an unlikely danger. There have been reports of death, as a result of adults ingesting a single leaf of the plant, due to how toxic it can be. Pets who eat any part of the plant may suffer from heart arrhythmia, vomiting, cold extremities, and even death.

  1. Tulip and hyacinth bulbs

The toxic part of tulip and hyacinth plants is concentrated within the bulbs and when it is ingested by pets it can have some serious side effects due to irritation in the mouth and throat. The most common symptoms among dogs that have ingested these bulbs include drooling, being sick and difficulty breathing.

  1. Lantana flowers

All parts of the incredibly pretty Lantana flower are particularly toxic to dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, and horses. In large volumes, it can cause damage to the liver and increased sensitivity to light.

  1. Deadly nightshade

A bee on a flower Description automatically generated

As the name of the plant suggests, these pretty plants can have deadly consequences. The round purple and black juicy looking berries are highly toxic and eating them can potentially cause drowsiness, facial flushing, fever, vomiting, confusion and hallucinations.

Don't miss out!
Subscribe To Newsletter

Receive top cat news, competitions, tips and more!

Invalid email address
Give it a try. You can unsubscribe at any time.

3 thoughts on “Seven Toxic Plants to Keep Away From Pets

  1. Pingback: How to Keep Your pet Safe From Hidden Dangers This Spring - Katzenworld

Why not meow a comment to fellow readers?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.