Following on from Amazon’s first “Britain’s Next Pet Model” competition the winners have just been announced. The Feline winner is Scrappy! Little known fact about Scrappy is that he was originally a black cat just like Nubia but developed this mottled fur approximately eleven years ago. :O
Full details on the competition below.
Scrappy the cat is crowned a finalist for the Face of Amazon Pets beating 28,000 entries from across the UK
Animals of all of species, breeds and sizes vied for attention to become Amazon’s next pet model in its inaugural Face of Amazon Pets contest
Pet photographer and judge, Rachel Oates, photographed pets before they were filmed for a series of ‘Petwalk’ videos, working their blue steel look for the cameras
London, June 2016: 18-year-old Scrappy the cat from West Yorkshire is a finalist for the Face of Amazon Pets, following a nationwide hunt to find official pet models for the Amazon.co.uk Pets Store. The contest resulted in proud animal owners across the country posting over 28,000 photos of their beloved pets online using the hashtag #AmazonPets.
The entries were whittled down to a shortlist based on the most likes on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Seven finalists – Effie the rabbit, Bob the dog, Scrappy the cat, Harry the pony, Sammy the bird, Rango the reptile and Arin the fish – were then voted for by Amazon customers and invited to a London studio where they were photographed and filmed strutting their stuff on a ‘Petwalk’, modelling popular pet products available from Amazon.co.uk’s Pets Store.
The Face of Amazon Pets judging panel included pet photographer Rachel Oates, who snapped all seven animal finalists, and owns Winny the corgi whose Instagram account @winnythecorgi has almost 24,000 followers. Jason Ashley, the proud owner Ramsey a Staffordshire Bull Terrier whose Instagram account @BlueStaffy has 146,000 followers, was the second judge, along with the top dog at Amazon.co.uk Pets Store Melis del Rey, who is in charge of Amazon.co.uk‘s vast pet offering.
“Pets are fast becoming the latest social media influencers to become Instafamous, amassing devoted followers worldwide and becoming genuine stars in their own right,” said Melis del Rey, Amazon Pets Store Manager. “We’re delighted to add Effie and the other six finalists to the list of gorgeous pets set for internet stardom and want to thank all of the many entrants for taking part in our Face of Amazon Pets competition.”
- Scrappy the cat– Is an 18-year-old cat from west Yorkshire who was born completely black but started to develop white patches eleven years ago. His owner David thinks he may have vitiligo. Scrappy already has more than 80,000 followers on Instagram and Facebook.
- Effie the rabbit– Overall winner of Face of Amazon Pets is a two-year-old female Mini Lop rabbit from Worcester. Effie was adopted from a rabbit rescue and is a strong bunny female and ‘married’ to her partner Jay. They fell in love on the kitchen floor where they spend most of their time
- Sammy the parrot– One-year-old Sammy is a male Indian Ringneck parrot from Swindon and was rescued from a breeder by his owners Amanda and Athena. Sammy loves watching TV and his favourite song is ‘I Don’t Feel Like Dancin’ by the Scissor Sisters.
- Harry the pony– Harry the Pony is seven-years-old and hails from Manchester. He has been with his owners Chris and Lauren for a couple of months. According to everyone on set of the Face of Amazon Pets, he is the most well behaved pony anyone has ever met
- Bob the dog– Bob is 18-months-old and was purchased on Valentine’s Day by his owner Collette. They both live in Cambridgeshire. Bob loves cheese and is more of an actor than a model. Bob has over 22,000 followers on Instagram.
- Rango the reptile– Rango is a nine-month-old chameleon and lives in Wiltshire with his owner Stephen. When he was purchased he was no bigger than Stephen’s little finger but is now the size of his palm. Rango loves live wax worms and Turkestan cockroaches. He’s not as grumpy as he looks and loves to sitting by the window watching the world go by.
- Arin the fish– Arin is a nine-month-old male Betta Splenden tropical fish and belongs to Amber. They live in Calvert Green,Buckinghamshire. He was imported from Thailand. Betta’s are also known as the Siamese fighting fish, but Arin is quite shy, placid and calm, and shares a tank with a large community of other fish.
The Amazon.co.uk Pets Store offers an unparalleled selection of products for dogs, cats, birds, fish & aquatic pets, horses, reptiles & amphibians, small animals, farm animals and more. From pet food, supplements, treats and health supplies, to toys, accessories, grooming products and the latest in pet technology, there are hundreds of thousands of products available, along with expert guides on how to keep your pets happy and healthy. Huge ranges of pet products are available with unlimited one-day delivery and same-day delivery in selected postcodes for Amazon Prime members.
For more information on the Face of Amazon Pets competition visit www.amazon.co.uk/faceofamazonpets
We hope you found this useful and don’t forget you can subscribe to our Newsletter.
We regularly write about all things relating to cats on our Blog Katzenworld!
The full range of Necoichi raised bowls and accessory now available @ Katzenworld Shop
My partner and I are owned by five cheeky cats that get up to all kinds of mischief that of course, you’ll also be able to find out more about on our Blog
If you are interested in joining us by becoming a regular contributor/guest author do drop us a message @ firstname.lastname@example.org .